Linear heat detection (LHD) cable is a combination of advanced polymer and digital technologies that can detect heat anywhere along its entire length. At the core of LHD is a twisted pair of extremely low resistance (.05 ohm/ft [.164 ohms/m] per twisted pair) tri-metallic conductors, sheathed in new advanced thermal polymers.
These polymers are chemically engineered to break down at specific fixed temperatures allowing the twisted conductors to make contact and initiate an alarm at the control panel without any calibration for changes in the ambient temperature. The distance locating option allows the ability to identify and display the exact location, in feet or meters from the control panel, where the heat source interacted with the detection cable.
The polymer used for the protective outer coating of LHD is chemically inert and UV protected. This allows for cable to be used in a wide variety of installations and types of hazards. LHD cable is compatible with control panels by utilizing either addressable monitor modules on an intelligent system or connected directly into the detection circuit of a conventional panel which initiates a fire or fault condition to the control panel.
• As a contact closure initiating device, Fike approves up to 2,000 ft (609 m) of LHD cable per each Cheetah Xi,
CyberCat intelligent input device, or SHP PRO initiating circuit
• Approved for up to 35 ft (10.7 m) spacing
• .05 ohms/ft (.164 ohms/m) resistance per twisted pair wire, lower than any other type of linear heat detection wire
• Lower Cost than other types of heat detection
• Compatible with all Fike fire alarm and releasing panels
• Multiple Alarm temperatures: 155°F, 172°F, 190°F, 220°F (68°C, 78°C, 88°C, 105°C)
• Distance locating option available
• Multiple alarm temperatures can be mixed on the same zone
• Total zone length replacement unnecessary after alarm condition
• Longer standard spool lengths available: 500 ft, 1500 ft, 3000 ft (152 m, 457 m, 914 m)
• Nylon coated – for outdoor and harsh environments
• Polypropylene coated – for chemically harsh environments
• Guidewire for spans up to 250 ft (76 m) with supports at 15 ft (4.6 m) intervals
Use LHD where other types of detection are not practical or where exact location of the overheating condition must be
known. LHD is ideal for the following applications:
• In-Rack Freezer and cooler storage
• Archive and warehouse storage
• Elevator shafts
• Cooling towers
• Cable Trays
• Cable spreading rooms
• Terminal Rooms
• Parking decks
• Engine Bays
• In Cabinet
• Paint booths
• Mini storage facilities
Linear Heat Detection (LHD) cable is approved as a heat actuated device for use on Fike fire alarm or releasing panels
and is available in multiple temperature sensitivities. Please refer to our maximum ambient temperature for assistance in
choosing the best wire for your environment. LHD cable must be installed in continuous runs (no T-Taps or branch lines).
All systems must be installed per NFPA 70, NFPA 72, Fire Alarm Code Handbook, National Electrical Code, Factory
Mutual and the Authority Having Jurisdiction. LHD cable can be installed for both area protection and local applications
for faster response times.