Fike’s EPSMS (Emergency Power Shutdown Management System) is designed to consolidate and control equipment emergency power off in a timely, efficient and coordinated manner. This system improves the reliability of EPO controls – reducing the chance of an accidental activation and expensive interruption to your business.
Emergency Power Off (EPO) stations are a safety feature intended to power down information technology (IT) equipment, a data center or an entire facility in an emergency such as fire, flood and HVAC failure resulting in overheating of sensitive equipment – thus protecting the facility and personnel. Arguably one of the most important safety features of any IT, data center or equipment room, emergency power off circuitry is increasingly mandated by many local jurisdictions.
EPO Controls – an asset or an accident waiting to happen?
Unfortunately, most emergency power off installations are an afterthought. The EPO is designed, installed, and tested in the field at the end of a project, simply to meet minimum code requirements. Often construction documents do not include detailed specifications, standards for quality, wiring schematics, or desired sequence of operation. Consequently, most EPO installations end up as decentralized, independent mechanisms — usually comprised of relays located in j-boxes scattered about the room, access floor, and/or above ceilings. Each individual piece of equipment may have to be shut down separately – virtually impossible in times of emergency. In addition, breakers are not easily identified or monitored; wiring diagrams are often not available; and no maintenance
bypass switch is installed that would allow an EPO condition to be locked out during routine maintenance. These installations are not easily modified or expanded and are susceptible to expensive false shut downs.
The Solution –The EPSMS
Fike’s Emergency Power Shutdown Management System (EPSMS) addresses all the concerns of a typical EPO installation and effectively consolidates, controls and monitors all power off circuits. In addition, the UL-listed EPSMS system greatly reduces the chance of accidental EPO activation and improves your system restart time if the EPO is activated for any reason. That’s peace of mind.
• Consolidates controls in one location
• Includes maintenance bypass with lock-out feature to prevent accidental activation of the EPO when removing the system from bypass mode
• Segregates the Power and HVAC shutdown within the control system
• Includes thorough documentation, sequence of operation, clear signage and drawings of the entire control system
• Includes dual action locking-type EPO switches with protective covers
• Control panel provides local monitoring and display of functions
• Control panel provides remote monitoring capabilities
• Power to the EPO controls can be monitored by fire control panel as required by NFPA 75
• Can be easily modified or expanded
Accidental EPO Activation
Many EPO shutdowns are accidental, due to inadequate protection of the EPO switch, maintenance error or an outside vendor’s unfamiliarity with the EPO control function. There is a large cost associated with abruptly shutting down an IT environment or
other sensitive equipment, including lost data or equipment damage. And if there are no written or posted procedures for restoration of power, resetting your EPO controls and re-energizing your equipment can be time-consuming and costly. It is imperative that measures be taken to prevent accidental EPO activation from occurring. Fike designed the EPSMS system to address not only the
need for a flexible and effective system, but one that greatly reduces the occurrence and effects of accidental activations.
- Single-point maintenance bypass switch with lock-out feature for easy system “safe off”
- Locking EPO button reset mechanism that expedites the identification of an EPO cause and location
- Dual action activation switch with protective guard reduces false activations
- Remote relays that allow for time/date stamp monitoring for easy activation diagnosis
- Sequence of operation is documented and posted for easy re-start
The Fike Emergency Power Shutdown Management System – safety and security in one system you can trust.